Tuesday 15 March 2016

T20 WC

I was only trying to send across a positive message: Shahid Afridi


Afridi said that cricket brings people of India and Pakistan together
Afridi said that cricket brings people of India and Pakistan together © Getty
Following the uproar to his pre-tournament comments about getting 'more love in India than in Pakistan', the flamboyant Shahid Afridi clarified his comments, stating that he was representing his country and wanted to send across a positive message. Afridi's comments drew scathing reactions from the Pakistan media and fans, with one even serving a legal notice to the Pakistan captain.
Looking to douse the situation, Afridi stated that his comments ought to have been looked at in a positive light. "I am not just captain of the Pakistan cricket team, but I am representing all the Pakistani people here," said Afridi on Tuesday (March 15). "I think if one looks at my comment in a positive way, then it is obvious that I did not mean to say anybody else would matter more to me than Pakistani fans. My whole identity comes from Pakistan."
"I was asked a question by a journalist and I tried to answer it in a positive way because I know whatever I say would be heard across the world. I was merely trying to give a positive message to the rest of the world that we enjoy a lot when we play in India.
"Whether it is Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis or Inzamam-ul-Haq, they will also say that they get a lot of respect here because cricket is literally worshipped in India. You can even ask Imran bhai, cricket is a religion here," Afridi added.
Afridi clarified that he expressed his opinion in an attempt to build peace and friendship between the two countries. He further added that his intention was to send a message to the rest of the world that cricket unites the people of both nations. "I merely gave a diplomatic statement so that the message that goes to the world is that cricket brings people together and Indo-Pak relations have always got a boost because of cricket," he said.
"I think I made a positive statement on behalf of my country but if somebody looks at it negatively, he would get a negative message. However, my intention was positive," Afridi summed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment